Saturday, May 7, 2011

On the Rise

The Lord has become my fortress, and my God is the rock in whom I take refuge.” Psalm 94:22

South Africa. The land of brokenness, miracles, and natural beauty. The land with hurting people, where time slows down, where “love your neighbor” reigns. The land where God's love and beauty is reveled.

Being here at this point in my life is the best thing I could ask for. It's a time for reflection and growth. Two months ago I had no idea what to expect coming to South Africa.  I had no idea I would get homesick and want to take that horribly long flight back home. I never expected to learn things about myself I never knew. I thought this trip was about helping others, but in turn it’s been helping me.

God is molding and shaping me. I know this is my time away from my family, my  friends and my life to figure a few things out and to become everything God has created me for. I sometimes feel a since of restlessness because my time in South Africa is going by so fast and I don’t want to waist any time while I’m here. I’ve found things in myself I want to change and things that I like and want to do more of.  I also find myself feeling restless for the future. Since I’ve been in South Africa I’ve discovered that I would love to adopt a child from a 3rd world country along with having a few of my own, that I want to work in ministry, and that I want to learn to speak Spanish fluently. 

In my restlessness I’m reminded of Psalm 25:5
“Lead me in your truth and teach me, for you are the God of my salvation; For you I wait all day.”

 I know when restlessness creeps up on me I need to be patient and to wait on God. I need to wait on him to lead me, to teach me, and to guide me. Sometimes in our stillness we learn the most. We learn to trust God and to be content with the unknown. We don’t have to have all the answers because after all we are not the ones in control. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow Ashlee! That is so cool that you are growing personally and helping yourself while helping others. I'm sure you will find fullfilliment in achieving your goals. You are very well suited for both ministry and motherhood you have always had such a big heart! Good to hear that you are doing well! Talk to ya soon!

    -Joel

    ReplyDelete