Thursday, April 28, 2011

Kittens

4/28
The other day there was a baby kitten that was meowing outside my house. The neighbors found him.  He was only a few weeks old and was abandoned by it’s mother. What can I say? I love animals so I couldn't just let it die! So I took it in. It's now doing really well and is going to survive. Tonight I found another baby kitten that was nearly dead. I rushed him to the neighbors house and they gave me a bottle and some kitten formula. The little kitten wasn't swallowing and he has no energy at all. I spent hours warming him up and attempting to feed him a little. After a while it seemed he was getting better, he was lifting his head and meowing. I held him close hoping he would survive and keep warm. After an hour he wasn't moving as much. As soon as I went to the kitchen to get water he started meowing loudly. I went back and he was dead.  I was so shocked and upset, it really seemed like he was getting better, but it was too late. It doesn’t seem fair, but life isn’t always fair. I’m emotionally drained and exhausted from putting all of my energy into trying to save this little thing.  At least he wasn't alone for the last few hours of his little life.

Life is like that. It’s full of disappointments and failures but it’s how we deal with those disappointments that matter.  We can sulk in self pity and complain that life is hard and that things never work out for us, or we can accept what comes our way, even if it’s not what we wanted. After all, it’s during the hard times that we grow and learn the most. Tomorrow morning I will bury my kitten.

Today one of the site workers at Refilwe found another kitten, probably from the same litter. He was feeding it regular milk, which is bad for kittens.  He asked me to take. Of course I couldn't say no, I would hate for it to die. I think I've already found a home for her but I will be watching her until she goes to her new home. So i'm babysitting a little kitten, and it's like taking care of a little baby, she keeps me up at night and she is hungry every few hours. Every time I put her down she looks at me and meows for me to pick her up. It's difficult getting anything done while i'm holding her, which is all the time, so I came up with a solution to this. I tied her to my stomach with a towel. African ladies tie their babies against their back with a towel, so I thought I would give it a try, and it works great. She seems really content being there. Those African ladies know what's up!

Here is a tired picture of me with my adopted baby.


1 comment:

  1. This little baby kitten is so cute, really adorable. What a clever idea to create a "kitty sling"! It might be hard to let her go.......

    ReplyDelete