Monday, March 14, 2011

Little Orange

 I hate the feeling of loneliness, but I knew I would experience it being so fare away from everyone and everything. I'm in a whole new world, and it will just take time to adjust. I'm thankful Leah and Piet are here; they are truly a blessing.  A volunteer who was here for 6 month  just left the other night, and everyone was very sad to see her go. She had built some great friendship while she was here.  Abel, a new friend of mine, said to me the night the volunteer left " I don't want to get too close to you, because then you're just going to leave." He was very close to the volunteer and it was hard on him to see her go. It must be hard for the people living and working here at the orphanage.  People come in and out of their lives. But they also get the chance to meet awesome people from all over the world.

Refilwe is a great place to live.  I’m living on 72 acres with a large river that divides the property. Lately I have just been sitting out on the grass by the  beautiful trees and reading my bible. I’ve heard that  monkeys live here, but I have yet to see one.  I was just spending a lovely afternoon  at one of the Godparents house, Mama Julia, when I discovered the internet was down today. I was hoping to connect with people from back home.

Loneliness comes and goes but it never stays for very long.  There is nothing here to distract myself from those feelings so I just allow myself to be, and then shortly after it will vanish. All it takes is a conversation with someone, or a friendly hello, and then I feel at peace again. I know i'm here for a reason, knowing that helps.  I'm learning to accept negative feelings because they are only temporary. . Piet was telling me that the mission field can be lonely and hard, but that is when we grow the most and when we learn the most about ourselves.

I've made a cat friend, I call him Little Orange.  I'm not sure who he belongs to but he wanted to come into my cottage last night, so I let him in. Shortly after I let him in, it started storming and gushing rain. The last time I saw it rain that hard was when I was in the tropical rain forest of Belize. It's almost as if the heavens opened up a giant waterfall. The storm itself was very relaxing, I love hearing the sound of rain.

 I like having little orange around.  I assume the feelings are mutual because he follows me everywhere I go. I guess he has been feeling a little lonely also.




2 comments:

  1. Hey Ashlee! So great to hear from you! Loneliness is a very real and crummy feeling but it shows a lot of strength for you to put yourself in a situation where it will pop up often. You will definately become a stronger person by relying on your faith and the knowledge that the feeling will pass with time to get you through. I like the part of your entry about the rainstorm. Severe weather has a way of bringing your current situation into greater focus. I wish that it would storm here once in awhile. That's cool that you made a friend in sheltering Little Orange from the rain. I wish you the best as you continue your mission. You are always in my thoughts.

    Your friend, Joel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ashlee Girl,

    Ahhh, as I write this I am crying a little. My heart aches for the loneliness you are experiencing. However, it seems that you are handling it so well. Your comment about just allowing yourself to be and to feel what you are feeling is so powerful to me. You are doing just what you need to do.

    I love that you and Little Orange found each other. Comfort sometimes comes in unexpected places.....

    It was wonderful to talk with you on Skype and to see your smiling face.

    Love you, Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete