Monday, March 28, 2011

Frogs, Bats and Spiders…Oh my!

The Spider on my porch
The Bat in my Room

Don’t get me wrong, I love nature. I think that God’s creations are wonderful. Every insect and animal has a purpose. I don’t have anything against frogs and I honestly don’t mind spiders. It’s amazing how spiders create silk to spin their web.  Bats are awesome because they eat mosquitoes. These creatures are wonderful if they are where they are supposed to be, which is outside. No they are not meant to be in my bedroom or in my shower. What is it that these creatures want from me? Why do they insist on coming inside?  I was sitting in my bedroom about to go to sleep when I heared a rustling sound. I looked around but I didn’t see anything, then I heared the sound again. The snake story told by the previous volunteer came racing to my mind. She had a snake behind the couch in THIS house. The snakes here are nothing to mess with, many are very poisonous. I was positive it was a cobra slithering it’s way up my bed, when all of a sudden a bat came flying through a small hole in the wall. It nearly got tangled in my hair as it frantically flew back and forth around my bedroom.  My roommate and I watched from afar not sure how to capture it.  We tried many things to get it out, from screaming outside to hiding in the bathroom and nothing worked! After many long minutes of debating we decided we needed to call in her boyfriend, the other volunteer next door. Of course he captured the bat in 10 second flat, but by the time he came over, the bat was so tired from being blinded by my light and listening to us scream that he was sleeping on my wall. We kindly sent him on his way and told him he will be happier outside. Apparently, the unruly bat told his friends where I live, because the other day I was getting into the shower and I nearly stepped on a large green frog. Before sending him on his way, I told him as nicely as I could, that he should tell his friends to knock first. These unexpected visits are very inconvenient. I think he passed on the message because I haven’t seen any creatures in a while.  I do have a large spider that made a home on my porch but he has been very polite and is keeping his distance from my house. I think we have an understanding that I won’t go into his house if he doesn’t go into mine.

2 comments:

  1. Ashlee, Very funny and entertaining story (Frogs, Bats, Spiders.. Oh my) Sure reminds me of our home (Gopher, mice, ground squires, oh my). We sure miss you and always await to read your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ashlee, I laughed when I read your story. It was very funny! Please ask the spider to tell his friends to not come into our house, ok? I don't like spiders! Miss you, hope you are having a great time. Love, Sean

    ReplyDelete