Friday, March 4, 2011

I'm here!

I have arrived safely in South Africa and i'm ecstatic  the long plane ride is over! I just got to my ministry site Refilwe. Before that I was enjoying a few days with my dear friends Leah and Piet.  It’s a little surreal being here. 7.5 months ago I decided to come to South Africa, and after all the planning, I’m finally here! The people here are very helpful and friendly and the weather is nice and warm. I spent a few days with Leah and Piet and helped them with their ministry. Part of their ministry is going into the poor schools to dance, sing songs and teach a bible lesson during the public school assemblies. It was fun and a little scary getting up in front of the whole school with Leah and Piet and attempting to dance and sing their songs, but they didn’t seem to mind that I had no clue what I was doing. It was amazing seeing these children, even the ones in kindergarten, enthusiastically dancing and singing songs of praise to Jesus.

Now I’m at Refilwe and I’m excited to discover what I will be doing while I’m here. They are giving me the weekend to recover from Jet lag before starting work, but it hasn’t been too hard for me to adjust. I was so busy with Piet and Leah I’m looking forward to a relaxing weekend. The internet here is slow and I haven’t been able to get the wireless to work, but I will write again when I can!  

1 comment:

  1. Ashlee, I am so happy that you arrived safe and sound. I am happy that you had people you knew to greet you and help you settle into your new home. We will miss you while you are gone, but I admire you so much for following your feelings that this is where you should be. Will try and send more finacial support down the road. Be happy and safe, take lots of pictures! Aunt Ruthann

    ReplyDelete